A release of the 0.08 version of Serval Mesh is going up on the Android Market as we speak (if you still see 0.07 on the market, please be patient -- it can take a few hours for Google to update the available version).
Selected features and bug fixes include:
- Rhizome store and forward transport.
- Improved peer list
- Now with name resolution from your Android contacts, real-time display of network reach-ability information, and quick link to open WebSMS (if installed) for text message entry.
- Smaller APK file size
- APK file now 4.8MB, down from 5.8MB for 0.07.
- Improved Handset Support
- Added Galaxy Tab.
- Bug Fixes
- Reduced prompting for root access, better detection of failures.
- Keep a foreground service running to prevent our process being accidentally killed.
- Fixed control of hotspot/access-point mode on Android 4.0+ (ICS).
Version 0.08 is very likely to be the last release before we switch to the overlay mesh code, which brings in very strong security, will have a totally revamped user interface, will not require any external applications for sending and receiving mesh SMS messages, and will mean that we will not longer need root access on a phone for it to join a mesh.
More on that when the next version is ready for release.